Friday, May 17, 2013

Sexualization of Girls

I just really need to ramble right now. This isn't going to be my best blog...But I have good news! Finals are over, no more homework (until June 4, :p) I hope to make a few more updates!!

Our society sexualizes girls. The default for boys' clothes is is looser-fitting jeans, t-shirts that cover the shoulders, and shorts that cover the knees. The default for girls is low-cut shirts, tighter fit, short shorts, and tight jeans.

This normalizes girls' clothing as something that shows the body off from a very early age. Their default is is to show their shoulders and their legs. What are you going to choose on a hot day? Boys have the option to pick loose-fitting shorts. Girls can either pick tight knee-length shorts (uncomfortable) or short-shorts. It just isn't fair.

This really reminds me of  my blog on sexual harassment. The dress available to women and girls is often use as a "pass" to degrade them by hypersexualizing them anonymously on the streets. This is an institutional problem. Certain clothes are marketed to toward girls from a young age, then choosing to wear spaghetti straps when they are older turns into the equivalent of girls and women asking for attention, rape, and harassment.

I want to be a role model for girls when I become a teacher. I want so badly for them to know that society is set up unfairly so they can prepare for it and make things right. If girls knew they were being sexualized, I can guarantee they would fight it.

No comments: