In case you're wondering, I support NIP 100%. With a blanket, without a blanket, in a restaurant, in the store- everything goes. It is one of the most beautiful and selfless things a mother can do for her baby, if she is able.
I was thinking about how many people are opposed to NIP, and came across the quote "I don't care if you do it, just as long as it isn't around me." We hear that (or a variation of it) all the time:
I don't care if you're gay, just so long as you don't try to have sex with me.
I don't care if you're Jewish, just as long as you don't try to force your religion upon me.
Get it? It gets old. But to be honest, I've said it before. Not about nursing, religion, or homosexuality-- but about smoking. I don't care if you smoke, just as long as it isn't around me. Many states, including my own, have laws against smoking in public. The rationale is that smoking is optional. Breathing is not.
Well.. this logic can be applied to breastfeeding. Feeding your baby is not a choice. Watching women breastfeed, however, is. Just don't fucking look.
So, to get to the point, I kind of combined the two of them into this meme:

On a related note, when I was searching for a photo of a breastfeeding mother, I realized the vast, VAST majority of then were of white women. Furthermore, I read that people's attitudes about breastfeeding in public can be influenced by the race of the mother and child. Sickening.
No comments:
Post a Comment